Humor columnist Morris Workman shares his "odd-servations" and twisted perspectives on small-town living, national news, sports, and societal whims. His wit and gentle satire are designed to make you smile, make you laugh, and mostly, make you think.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

50 Cent’s Beef With The Game

Published in the Desert Valley Times
March 22, 2005

A war broke out recently that, for a change, had nothing to do with Iraq, Afghanistan, or any other oil-bearing desert region.
The war was between 50 Cent and The Game.
Sounds like the tale of a kid in an arcade, doesn’t it?
No, children in an arcade have far too much intelligence for this particular brand of conflict.
You see, for those like me who are terminally unhip, “50 Cent” is the pseudonym of a rapper.
Not to be confused with a 50-cent wrapper, which is a paper tube used to gather pennies.
It’s not the name of the rapper’s group, it’s the dude’s moniker.
If you’re going to say the name in public, you need to know that it’s not pronounced “fifty cent” unless you want to get laughed out of middle school.
It’s “fitty sint.”
I’ve heard this gentleman’s music.
For my money, 50 cents would be about twice what the CD is worth.
But apparently the kiddies like his music about murder and pimping and the ‘hood, so who am I to judge.
Anyway, it turns out that there used to be a member of his “posse,” which is rapper shorthand for those who choose to share his company, named The Game.
(Doesn’t anybody name their kid “John” or “Freddy” anymore?)
The rumor is that The Game “dissed” fitty cint, expressing loyalty to a rival performer, which evoked cint’s ire.
Now let’s not get too high and mighty here.
I’ll admit I liked Elvis Presley when I was a kid.
I’ll also admit to watching more than one Elvis movie where the king opened up a can of whoop-butt on a rival fishing boat captain, a rival race car driver, a rival treasure hunter, and even a rival cliff diver.
So musicians beating each other up isn’t a novel concept.
But unlike a mere Hollywood thrashing solved by somebody getting the girl, the conflict between 50 Cent and The Game broke out in gunfire at a radio station.
Very un-Elvis-ish.
Afterwards, the two “gangstas” postured and howled at the moon about wounded pride and vengeance.
But then, somebody got in their ear and explained that maybe killing other musicians isn’t the best way to promote an album.
No, it wasn’t the police. (Does ANYBODY in the entertainment industry listen to them anymore?)
Most likely it was somebody WAY more important, like a record producer or a publicist or the guy who drives the limo.
So, fast forward a few weeks, and we see 50 Cent and The Game making nice in public.
Neither of them came right out and said who did what to whom, but it’s all better now.
In fact, they fixed it the way most celebrities and not a few liberal Democrats fix things: by throwing money at it.
Each of them pledged a few hundred thousand dollars to the other’s favorite charity, and now life in the ‘hood can go on.
Nobody’s going to jail (which is for mere mortals like taxi drivers and home improvement divas), nobody’s going to court, and everybody’s CD gets a sales boost, which is about as close to a happy ending as it gets in the hip hop world.
It sure gives a new meaning to such music industry expressions as “the song is number nine with a bullet” and “this song killed them at the radio station” and “this is his first shot at the big time.”
Which is why I’m sticking with country music, where all you have to do is avoid lights going out in Georgia and black-eyed peas consumed by guys named Earl.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think both of you need to take a deep breath....and realize the air smells like 2005, not 1955 or something. The whole point of music is to express yourself in a manner that you personally cannot. Take for instance, I sure as hell can't write a song, but I can relate to what Hip Hop speaks about in the lyrics. Now, if you can't recognize the sheer genious of rhyming words, phrases, and metaphors than YOU don't need to comment on Hip Hop...stick to country music...it's probably a little more easy to understand anyways. Now, as for the comments by Kenbob, don't you red neck cowboys get drunk and do the same stuff? I mean, I'm willing to bet that none of them listens to Hip Hop. Also, if the music is so unscrupulous and unappealing to many because of their belief that it somehow turns good kids into bad ones or is a driving force behind actual violence and lyrical ones, why is it that Rock concerts, Dave Matthew's Band in particular, require more security and in every case have led to countless acts of violence? When you can explain that one to me, I'll listen more to what you think you know you're talking about!

11:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with malcolm. how can you judge something that you never take the time to listen to? And how can you judge the hood if you've never lived in it? and isnt it being a little hypocritical if you say that you dont like music with violence......but its ok if its country.I know some people that say that rappers do not have talent. well if thats what you think i challenge you to try it and spit out a rhyme like they can... i bet most of you couldn't do it.ignorant people need to realize that hip-hop is a different style of music and you shouldnt sit there and judge it until you understand it. i dont like country but i dont spend time to judge it and cut it up.

10:20 AM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

Excellent responses, Malcolm and Sara! (Wish you had been here a few months ago when this topic was hot, so others could enjoy it.)

I don't think 1955 would be a good time to "return to" musically. Alan Freed hadn't coined the term "rock and roll" yet, and while I like some big band music, it's a lot like Bluegrass to me...a little goes a long way.

As for the "sheer genious" of being able to rhyme words...sorry, I've been in second grade classes where the kids could make "zoom" rhyme with "room." Rhyming in itself isn't particularly "genious."

If it was, then Dr. Seuss would be a platinum artist.

And don't take offense to my insistence that rap isn't really a musical art form. I believe it DOES qualify as poetry, and in that light, some of it is amazingly powerful.

I just refuse to acknowledge it as music. Don't feel bad, I have the same opinion of Bob Dylan, who was a brilliant lyricist, but couldn't sing his way out of a dark room.

As for the purpose of music to "express yourself in a manner that you personally cannot," I guess I am old. I thought it was to put meaningful words, or even unmeaningful words, into a melodic form with a beat worth listening to.

Is it really meaningful to espouse beating people up and shooting people? Disrespecting women?

Nobody disputes that rap has the best rhythm lines. I'm a musician, and I have enormous appreciation for the beat (although I take exception to the fact that 90 percent of all rap music uses a "beat" stolen from other real songs.)

And nobody here ever said rap music causes people to turn bad or become violent. I've always thought that was a stupid premise.

But it DOES legitimize violence, and tells kids that shooting cops is okay and something to aspire to. It doesn't cause them to do it, but it does glorify the acts. In most civilized societies, this isn't behavior that people should be encouraged to follow.

I would dispute your comparison of increased security at concerts. Are you telling me that Dave Matthews requires more security than a 50 Cent concert? I would disagree. Heck, 50 Cent requires more security on the stage than in the crowd just to keep his posse from shooting each other!

I think your data is incorrect. For anecdotal evidence, I would subscribe that the Grammies, the Country Music Association awards, and a dozen other award shows have yet to see the first act of overt violence, while Hip Hop's "Vibe" awards made the news this year because it was the first time in recent memory that riots DIDN'T break out.

Sara, as far as judging "the hood..." I worry about a segment of young Americans who find it noble to defend and exalt a place where violent crime is a part of the every day existence, drugs are the new street currency, crushing poverty is the order of the day, and people shoot each other over the color of their hats.

And you don't have to be a chicken to know an egg when you see one. For some people, "the hood" is as good as it's ever going to get, and I understand. But I wouldn't encourage anyone to strive for that existence on purpose. You might be right, this does sound judgemental on my part, and I might be wrong. I just know I wouldn't choose that kind of life.

Disliking rap music doesn't make me ignorant, any more than disliking SheDaisy or Rascal Flatts is ignorant. It's about style and taste and choices. And I absolutely respect your decision to embrace it as an art form, although I disagree with its characterization as such.

And judging music is a part of the human experience. In the 50s, parents espoused their hatred for that noise known as "rock and roll." In the sixties, "long hair" music was the bane of the working class. In the seventies, it was disco that was dreaded. In the eighties, musicians expressed general disgust for techno because they used synthesizers instead of real bands.

Every generation has music as its signature. And the preceding generation has always retained the right to find it abhorrent.

But judging music isn't wrong. It's a part of how we define ourselves, and who we identify with. Heck, nearly every televised music show has some sort of "rate a record" segment, also known as the TRL countdown, where people make arbitrary and sometimes inexplicable decisions when deciding what constitutes "good" music and what is "bad."

Go ahead and hate country music. I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. I've listened to rap, and I've developed true disdain for it. But don't confuse "rap" with "hip hop." Rap is just rhymin'. Hip hop (originally referred to as "soul" music) is actually one of my favorite musical art forms. Rick James, the Gap Band, Parliament...now THAT is music!

As a musician, if I wasn't an overweight white cracker from the sticks, I would have loved playing in a funk band.

Thanks for posting your responses! I believe they were well thought out and worthwhile. Check in again!

8:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home