Humor columnist Morris Workman shares his "odd-servations" and twisted perspectives on small-town living, national news, sports, and societal whims. His wit and gentle satire are designed to make you smile, make you laugh, and mostly, make you think.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

My Muse

I’m sometimes asked where I get my story ideas.
(Okay, what they really say is “what the heck is wrong with you?”)
The short and obvious answer is, from my head.
But that’s not tangible enough for some people, so I’ll be more specific, scientific, and geographical.
I get my best ideas in my shower.
Whenever I’m stuck for an idea and my deadline is less than two hours away, I jump into the shower for a good soak.
To be more mystical, I would say that the shower is where my muse lives.
A muse is a mythical creature responsible for creative inspiration.
If you’ve ever seen the movie “Xanadu,” Olivia Newton-John was a muse, who happened to live in an old concert hall that was transformed into a skate bar.
In the movie “Dogma,” the muse was played by Salma Hayek.
Stephen King refers to his muse in his writing memoir “On Writing,” referring to him as a “basement kind of guy,” so I’m not a complete crackpot.
(I wonder what it means when I point to horror impresario Stephen King as my example of normal…)
I haven’t actually seen my muse, but I’m pretty sure he lives behind the shower nozzle.
It took a little while to get comfortable with the idea of an unseen entity in my shower, particularly the way my body looks without clothes (no, please don’t try to imagine), but he’s the one with the great ideas, so I have to accept it.
I hope this doesn’t mean my muse is a peeping tom.
If you’re not comfortable with the idea of invisible creatures, I have another theory.
I’ve read that Lewis Carroll wrote great whacks of the book “Alice In Wonderland” while under the influence of LSD.
Perhaps my enhanced creativity in the shower is the result of a chemical reaction.
If so, I suspect it’s that explosive combination that occurs when the Zest soap interacts with the Alberto VO5 shampoo.
I’m not sure if my results would change if I were to try a different soap/shampoo combination.
Maybe Cameo and Pantene would give my writing style a more sophisticated lilt, or I could purify my content with Ivory and Johnson’s Baby Shampoo.
To get in touch with my feminine side, I could abandon soap altogether and try some of that body wash stuff and a scrubby.
And to improve my horror fiction output, I could try Lava soap and a shampoo of Easy-Off oven cleaner.
But for now, I’m sticking to my muse theory.
It’s more “out there,” which is expected of people who make their living with the written word (we’ve all been led to believe that most writers are artsy, flaky folks with weird lifestyles anyway, so I’m not going to try and swim upstream on this one).
So now, if you’ll forgive me, I’m going to finish toweling off and go dry my hair.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought everybody's muse lived in the shower... along with their singing talent. I have been writing about my shower thoughts for awhile. Yesterday I added a note about my husband's shower thoughts.
For an interesting point of view, try Blonde shampoo. I would love to see what that would produce.
Cindra

10:21 AM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

Makes me wonder...if I took a shower without shampooing my hair, would my writing involve nothing but dirty thoughts?

4:19 PM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

So you've been there too, KenBob?
Let's all just hope that our names don't come up during meetings of the Shower Muse Union.

9:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a Showers Anonymous? Do we wear towels and bring our own shampoo?
I have been caught in the shower with no shampoo and I have to confess my thoughts turned violent - towards the culprit who took my shampoo!
Do you think the reason I lose the most valuable of my shower thoughts is because I towel dry my hair too hard?
- from looking for help in all the wrong places (Cindra)

1:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to confess that my thoughts have turned violent in the shower when I have no shampoo. Violent toward the culprit who stole my shampoo.
- from looking for answers in all the wrong places - (Cindra)

1:29 PM

 
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Muses, showers, soap and shampoos... egad! And here I've been walking around holding a GE 60 Watt over my head on those oh-so-special writer's block days.

Fun read!

3:48 PM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

Cindra...
Sorry about your interface.
I hate when that happens.
Like getting tossed from the neighborhood bar when you haven't had enough to drink yet.
As for Weary Hag's idea of a 60-watt bulb...the only one I would hold over my head would be one of those yellow ones designed to keep the bugs from descending on the dead carcass that is my brain on Monday mornings.

11:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home