Humor columnist Morris Workman shares his "odd-servations" and twisted perspectives on small-town living, national news, sports, and societal whims. His wit and gentle satire are designed to make you smile, make you laugh, and mostly, make you think.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Southern Hospitality

NOTE: While I don't usually burn a blog post with a joke, I just couldn't resist. I particularly hope my buds in Statesboro appreciate this one.

A very gentle Southern lady was driving across the Savannah River Bridge in Georgia one day.

As she neared the top of the bridge, she noticed a young man fixing (ready) to jump.

She stopped her car, rolled down the window and said, "Please don't jump, think of your dear mother and father."

He replied, "Mom and Dad are both dead; I'm going to jump."

She said, "Well, think of your wife and children."

He replied, "I'm not married and I don't have any kids."

She said, "Well, think of Robert E. Lee."

He replied, ''Who's Robert E. Lee?''

She replied, ''Well bless your heart, just go ahead and jump, you dumb ass Yankee!”

4 Comments:

Blogger michelle said...

cute...
ever hear about the one about the woman who went to the Dentist on Wednesday for a sore tooth on one side of her mouth and got 2 teeth pulled out on the other side instead....

oops I guess not cause that was me and I have been in pain since

7:34 AM

 
Blogger Luke said...

Robert E. Lee? We ain't got time for no fancy book learnin, so unless he's sponsoring the Dodge #17 car, he ain't no use to us.*

(I'm trapped down here, someone get me out!)*

* Please note those are jokes, I actually like it here, and every now and again we run across someone with some book learning!

1:06 PM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

Sorry to hear about the dental distress, Michelle. Is there some Freudian meaning hidden in your statement about missing teeth in relation to a joke about Southerners? (Just teasing...I know how painful tooth extractions can be.)

Luke, let me take another tack...General Lee was the primary corporate sponsor of the Dodge Charger in the old "Dukes of Hazzard" TV show. Does that help?

And you're right, Alison, TV learnin' is underrated as an academic institution. Without it, I would be completely ignorant of such facts as Bounty being the quicker picker upper, and that Ivory Soap is 99-44/100ths percent pure. (See, I've even learned about fractions.)

*Morris

11:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of an old Southern Gentlemen I knew when I lived in Florida. He was a WWII vet. He was so Southern that, while in Europe he got in a lot of fights with allied troops because they called him a "Yankee".

I know that sounds like a joke, but it is true! ;~D

4:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home