Humor columnist Morris Workman shares his "odd-servations" and twisted perspectives on small-town living, national news, sports, and societal whims. His wit and gentle satire are designed to make you smile, make you laugh, and mostly, make you think.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Fax Terrorists

“This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying it, and notify the sender by reply e-mail or by calling (999) 555-5959, so that our address record can be corrected.”

This is the footnote that is popping up on business faxes all over the country.
Once upon a time in a soul-less city not so far away, some bright but bored attorney sat down at another in a long line of meaningless meetings.
Instead of doodling images of Tweety and Bugs, he starts drafting this disclaimer while the speaker drones on about something like the dangerous food-poisoning liability exposure of Homeowner Association presidents who eat their boogers.
After the meeting, the practical-joke-loving barrister decides it would be a hoot to see how many clients he can rook into believing that this disclaimer is absolutely critical to the protection of the American free enterprise system.
So now we see this stupid clause at the bottom of nearly every business fax transmission in the country, which is often longer than the actual message being sent.
Eventually, one of these lands on my desk.
Is it just me, or is there something odd about somebody sending an unwanted fax to someone by mistake, using up my paper, toner, and phone time (when I’m expecting a truly IMPORTANT fax from the pizza place down the street to let me know what toppings are available), then threatening ME over THEIR mistake?
In a tremendous irony, the fax is to announce another meaningless meeting of some cataclysmically dull group.
Let’s be honest, this unwanted fax would ordinarily find a home among its junk-mail brethren in the bottom of my circular file without a second glance.
Unless of course it included some sort of juicy gossip about a political leader or co-worker, which would immediately find its way onto a website or news wire within the hour.
(Face it, if I inadvertently catch an errant doctor’s note explaining why Paris Hilton’s gonorrhea isn’t responding to treatment, I’m not going to sit on that. Pulitzer Prizes have been awarded for less, I don’t care WHAT the little disclaimer says.)
(Disclaimer: to the best of my knowledge, Paris Hilton does not and has not ever had gonorrhea…see, I have lawyers too.)

5 Comments:

Blogger michelle said...

I used to really enjoy (NOT) those phone calls that would go on and on that were actually meant for the fax machine....."Good MOrning, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP"

Click

8:45 AM

 
Blogger Luke said...

I get faxes here at the newspaper that say the contents of the fax are not for public viewing. Why are you faxing me something (usually something they want publicized) and then tell me I can't publish it?

I've also gotten a generic press release in which they forgot to actually add the relevent informtion. It was littered with "Put Contact Name here" and "Put city here." Unfortunatly, my editor wouldn't let me write about it.

12:40 PM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

You really have it bad, Alison...you get annoyances in two different languages!

Michelle, I'm surprised the alarm clock companies haven't picked up on that. I can sleep/snooze my way through the beeping, the chirping, the buzzing, and the AM radio noise, but there is no way I could ignore that grating noise of a fax transmission.

Luke, here's a tip...wait until your editor goes out of town!

Besides, I am truly blessed...I have an editor that doesn't put a lot of barriers in my way. In the last year, while he has suggested maybe revising something, he has never killed a story or refused to run something I've written.

By the way, Luke...ever been sued for something you've written? I'm still a babe in swaddling clothing, so I haven't irked anyone enough to bring in the lawyers yet, but I'm sure it's in the stars for me. (I have this nasty habit of opening my mouth when I notice the Emporer isn't wearing any clothes.)

*Morris

5:04 PM

 
Blogger Luke said...

Morris,

I haven't been sued yet. I hear it's a badge of honor, but one I'd rather not deal with.

My current paper did kind of throw me to the wolves my first month here. There was a medial malpractice trial (why we covered it, I still don't know) and there were some unhappy people on the Doctor's side with my stories, but no lawsuits. (The Dr. was found not liable, but I think he ended up leaving town anyway.) It really wasn't a nice way to break in the rookie.

Now I get city council meetings where, not counting department heads and people there for their own zoning requests, there are probably five people in attendance. Sadly, it appears to be a well-run council so there's not much controversy. I've tried to convince some of the council members to take a swing at each other, just so something could happen, but so far, nothing.

5:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, people still fax? I though faxing died when Email became a household name.

Save yourself a mountain of toner, paper and headache, dump the fax! ;~D

As for the disclaimer, I think the fact that many bloggers have invented their own joke disclaimers (along with how few disclaimers actually hold up in court), the disclaimer seams to have gone the way of Journalist Integrity. ;~D

8:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home