Humor columnist Morris Workman shares his "odd-servations" and twisted perspectives on small-town living, national news, sports, and societal whims. His wit and gentle satire are designed to make you smile, make you laugh, and mostly, make you think.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

21st Century Pioneers

Traveling from Florida to Utah gave me new respect for the Pioneers who settled this land.
After selling our house in 2001, my wife and I filled our Conestoga wagon (a Budget rental van) with everything we couldn’t unload at our last yard sale. Then we loaded my car onto a trailer behind the truck. Finally, we packed my wife’s car with suitcases, 2 daughters, a dog, a rabbit, a guinea pig, and a cockatiel.
For those of you shaking your heads and holding your noses, remember that the original wagon trains included smelly livestock. Fortunately, my wife has bad sinuses, so the aroma wasn’t much of a burden.
Our first catastrophe came when the kids snapped the antenna off of their battery-operated TV/VCR during a game of “Gimme That! It’s Mine!”. This may not seem equivalent to a broken wagon axle, but then the pioneers never suffered 2 kids going through cartoon withdrawals. We were rescued when we found a trading post (pronounced “Wal-Mart”) where we stocked up on videos.
We passed through Mobile, Alabama. My olfactorily-challenged wife called on the radio from her small SUV packed with the dog, rabbit, guinea pig, cockatiel, and 2 daughters and asked me what that smell was. Enough said about Mobile.
Like all pioneers, we marveled at the mighty Mississippi. We asked an American Mart convenience store clerk about the river, but like the Paiutes in 1847, he didn’t speak English.
We continued on through Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas, Texas… (it’s a big state).
Eventually, we hit Utah. The map showed we could take Route 9, drive through Zion National Park, and on into St. George. Unfortunately, the map didn’t mention anything about a cover charge.
We pulled up to the tollbooth at Zion. (The Park Service calls them “Ranger Stations”. That’s a lie.). I rolled down the window of the van and informed the nice man that the blue SUV was with me. He looked at the van, looked at the car on the trailer, and looked at my wife’s car.
“Van and a car, $20 each, $10 for the trailer,” he calculated, “That’ll be $50” .
I was stunned. “You don’t understand. We’re not visiting the park. We’re just driving through on our way to St. George.”
“Doesn’t matter,” he replied.
I fumed. This was a National Park, which meant my tax dollars had already paid for it once. Route 9 was a state road, which meant the nice people of Utah had paid for it again. And people with tents were paying Ramada Inn prices for patches of dirt. I realized that National Parks are not about preservation or wilderness, they are about money.
“How about this,” I ventured. “What if we promise not to look while we’re driving through?”
The park ranger was not amused. We paid.
Finally, our caravan arrived in St. George. Like the pioneers before us, we were thankful to have survived the long journey, and to have only been scalped once.

10 Comments:

Blogger michelle said...

LOL...

2:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, well written. If I may be so bold, do you live in St. George or Mesquite. I'm mildly interested in that my company is building a distribution center in Mesquite and I'll probably be visiting there later this year.

5:12 PM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

Indeed. I moved to St. George in the story. I now live in Mesquite.

Is your distribution center Do It Best? It's a big deal in our little town.

Thank you for the kind words!

*Morris Workman

7:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it is. I manage the Do It Best center in Cape Girardeau, MO. Our Company is celebrating it's 60th year this year. It's a very employee oriented company. We have many 15 to 30+ year people. Those who get on and enjoy that kind of work should be happy campers over the years to come.

5:33 PM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

Thanks, Jack!

No, Alison, the elevation wasn't a factor. The 102 degrees in the dry desert WAS.

You know how folks back east always say "It's not the heat, it's the humidity?"

They're wrong. When the thermometer reaches triple digits in May and remains there until November, it IS the heat.

RD...if you want to see more about Mesquite, visit the website at www.mesquedia.com, or our local newspaper at www.dvtnv.com.

Let me know when you get in town, I'd be happy to show you around our little slice of microwaved heaven.

*Morris

6:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Saga of travel across our great nation. Like most of my many trips, your memories were good for a laugh!!

Can you believe that when I ran away from home back in 1979, it was to the great metropolis of St. George that I fled? ;~D

Picture St. George how it is now, except nothing there.. ;~D

Next time your in St. George, I hope you don't feel the need to run into my brother. He's the manager of the NAPA Auto Parts store there. ;~D

10:35 AM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

What is it about auto parts stores, Parated?

For example, here in Mesquite, we have only two grocery stores, and only two car repair garages, but we have three auto parts stores.

I remember a similar 3-to-2 ratio of auto parts stores to grocery stores when I lived in Sebring, Florida.

A question for your bro in St. G.

I can't even imagine a municipally-naked Dixie, before all the box stores and traffic jams.

*Morris

6:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't tell ya, Morris. My dad and brother did their best to make me a "car guy", but call it laziness, or a lack of a contortionist bent, their attempts failed miserably.

Of course, that doesn't prevent me from enjoying the blast of a hot muscle car going by, but that don't mean I want to become one with it!! ;~D

I'll ask my bro about the ratio though.

1:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record (but off the record), I asked my brother your question about parts stores.

He said, that there are more people who think they can do it themselves than there are people who actually can. So, the parts stores get to profit off those who actually can, and those who finally give up and let the auto shop fix the damage they caused, and the problem that started them thinking they could fix in the first place! ;~D

8:40 PM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

Good answer, Parated!

Thanks for the research and update.

I must admit I'm guilty of that. Recently tried something as simple as changing a tire. Unfortunately, my car was equipped with those stupid locking lug nuts, (came with the car), and the cheap little "key". (Completely unnecessary, since the wheels are factory standard, and not particularly racy. Certainly not the kind of accessories drawing the attention of car thieves.)

I managed to strip the little key trying to get the locking lug nut off. Ended up having not one but TWO road service guys come out to work on it. The second one finally just broke off the stud.

Another anecdote supporting the theory of people who THINK they know how to fix their car, but should have taken it directly to the car professionals who have those cool airguns with 9 jillion pound of pressure, who could have revomed the locking lug nuts in about 15 seconds.

(But it was just a TIRE CHANGE for crying out loud! I once replaced my own transmission when I was a teenager. Now I can't even CHANGE A TIRE?!!??)

*Morris

8:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home