Humor columnist Morris Workman shares his "odd-servations" and twisted perspectives on small-town living, national news, sports, and societal whims. His wit and gentle satire are designed to make you smile, make you laugh, and mostly, make you think.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

New Home

Welcome to the new home for the Workman Chronicles.
Okay, it’s the same old home.
But it’s now the sole repository for these rambling diatribes, since the Workman Chronicles is no longer being published in the Desert Valley Times.
I would like to explain the falling out between myself and my employer, but that would be bad form.
It also might get me fired.
Suffice it to say that my editor and I had a difference of opinion.
I wrote an article uncovering a heinous activity by H-
Whoops, almost spilled the beans.
Anyway, my boss pulled the plug on the article.
So I pulled the plug on the Workman Chronicles.
I like to think of it as a noble gesture, since I felt that to continue putting my best efforts into a publication that lacked-
Darn, almost did it again.
Of course, I guess the other perspective is that I’m being a big baby, and that I gathered up my marbles and went crying home to mommy.
Since I know what really happened, I’m okay wearing that tag.
Besides, my mommy said it wasn’t true.
This entire situation makes me sad.
The Workman Chronicles was my favorite part of the job.
It also evoked the greatest number of responses from the community, both good and bad.
But the reason it got such attention is because it unabashedly faced the truth and told it in a, hopefully, humorous way, even if it cost me popularity points in the community.
(I still have red marks from where the Yearbook kids and their moms whaled on me.)
Unfortunately, that zeal for the telling the truth isn’t shared by-
See, I have to watch that.
Not only is the St. George-owned newspaper my employer, but my boss has access to “paper by the ton and ink by the barrel,” which means he could respond with his own scathing perspective that would reach 7,800 people (according to our latest circulation numbers) while only the 20 or 30 of you who visit this site would get the tr- um, my perspective.
So, until I come up with a new job, or a new distributor for the Workman Chronicles, this will be the only place to find it.
In the meantime, I’ll continue to attend most of the VVHS games and local sporting events, writing about our teams, and giving you the latest scores.
In other words, I’m going to do what one local H** president suggested in a Letter to the Editor, which is stick to writing about sports.
I figure since my editor seems to agree with this guy on most other important issues, he probably feels the same way on this one as well.
So at least somebody will be happy.
(By the way, to Mr. B and the rest of the evil overlords engaged in turning this beautiful city into the unfriendliest place on Earth, congratulations. You win.)
As for me, life will go on.
I’ll eventually find a newspaper or magazine interested in what I have to offer, although it will probably require me to leave the town I have come to love.
If not, I can always go back to earning an above-average living in the insurance or computer industries.
Yes, giving up the poverty and 55-hour work weeks would be a hard call, but it may be a sacrifice I’m forced to make.
Until then, enjoy the Workman Chronicles here on Mesquedia, where $3.95 a month to my internet webspace provider can still buy freedom and truth.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

“paper by the ton and ink by the barrel,”

Fortunatly for us (and unfortunatly for the mainstream newspapers) Blogging has now given the rest of us access to readers without paper or ink.

Our circulation might be smaller, but then again, who outside of the Mesquite area ever heard of that paper... but Workman Chronicles is known as far away as Sheboygan, Wisconsin. ;~D

4:15 AM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

You're right about that, ParaTed.

I recently received e-mails (several pretty angry) about the "Disaster Primer" blog entry that somehow ended up on an AOL opinion board. The e-mails were from New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, and others.

Now if I could just figure out a way to make a living with the Workman Chronicles blog and Mesquedia website, I'd be home free!

*Morris

6:15 AM

 
Blogger michelle said...

It's funny how many people are afraid of the truth...it's Karma Morris, his will come back to bite him in his anal retentive ass....We enjoy you and that is all that matters

9:31 AM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

Thank you, Michelle.

My editor is actually a really good guy, an honest-to-goodness Vietnam war hero, and a lot of fun outside this issue.

But he absolutely does not want controversy in his newspaper.

I'm grateful for your readership and support, Michelle.

I appreciate your wish for good luck, Alison.

I'm also grateful for your friendship, Ken. I'm sorry your wife has uncovered the truth about newspapers.

Okay folks, it may get me into hot water, but I'm going to expose some truths about the newspaper industry.

Here's the biggest one: The pay sucks. Badly.

And it's not just my paper. I've learned that most newspapers pay poorly in nearly every position except the top echelons, which are often filled by people whose skill set does not include writing or reporting. (I've been told that our sister paper's publisher, a big daily, is a former accountant.)

The result is the Peter Principle on steroids. Most of the really good writers, reporters, copy editors, salesmen, and office staff leave the industry to go to work where they get paid better.

Since joining the paper, in our little town I've met no less than five people who "used to be newspaper writers" who moved on to do other things because the pay is so bad. (Two of them are local teachers).

There are a few idiots, like me, who hang in there for the love of it, but most of the really good employees leave for better pay elsewhere.

Which means that, what you have left is the people who love the business, those who have some other source of income, dedicated souls who don't have the ambition to get a better job, and those who aren't good enough to get another job.

In other words, community opinion is usually shaped by leftovers, those least qualified to shape it.

And I can say this, because I'm one of the leftovers.

Most of us try to convince ourselves that what we're doing is noble, and that money isn't everything.

But bill collectors don't make a commission on "noble," and "noble" won't replace the oil-burning engine in your 10-year-old car.

Then, when the "noble" cause you work for decides to squash the truth because it might make it uncomfortable for some of his friends, even though it's an enormous disservice to the community, it takes away your last reason for making the sacrifice.

I suspect Scott Garner could shed some light on this as well. Scott is a brilliant (and I mean John Grisham/Dave Barry/William Faulkner brilliant) writer who wrote for the Statesboro Herald for 10 years, and is now selling beer for a much better living.

Maybe this is just sour grapes from a pouting columnist who is whining because his story got killed.

But I don't think so.

The confirmation can be found in the blogosphere.

I've seen better writing on some of the blogs I've visited, including the blogs belonging to some of the people who have posted on this thread, than I've seen in some of the nearby daily newspapers (and worlds ahead of some of the weekly papers around here).

The blogs are usually written by people who have pretty good jobs which pay way better than the newspaper business, which confirms that a lot of really good writers are doing something other than writing.

They do it for no pay.

Which really cements the theory.

If there are some good writers getting low pay, the truly great writers must be doing it for free.

*Morris

7:24 AM

 
Blogger Terri said...

Morris,

You're throwing sour grapes on my dream! ;-) I've recently discovered writing and am enjoying it in my spare time. However, it's my goal to make some kind of meager living at it. I've been thinking more about freelance technical, and you've definitely steered me away from any thoughts on jouralism!

I know your passion just took a hit, but sometimes that's the trigger you need to make some adjustments. I know. I've been in a similar situation.

You're extremely (and I'm not just being kind) talented, and very funny! I hope you continue sharing your words with the world at large.

Terri

1:51 PM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

Thanks Terri, you're very kind.
I still recommend that you pursue your dream. There is a satisfying feeling that comes from offering your words for public consumption. It's why the "Letters to the Editor" section of nearly every newspaper is among the most popular.
If you can find a way to make a living at it, freelance work would give you the most freedom (although it's a struggle when first trying to sell your work, since you don't have a solid credit on your resume...a continuation of the eternal Catch-22 where you can't get the job unless you have experience, and you can't get any experience unless you get the job).
Freelance work also allows you to pick and choose which publications are worthy of your contributions.
The obvious downside is the lack of a steady (albeit slight) paycheck.
You're right about this being a trigger for an adjustment.
People whose opinion I trust have been telling me for months that I should be writing for a larger market newspaper, but I've been so happy here that I didn't have any motivation to move.
Now I have that motivation, which in the long run will probably be a vertical step along destiny's turnpike.
And my wife has made me promise that I will continue to write, no matter what job I end up taking.
Like Scott Garner, maybe this will be the pressure point necessary to finish the revisions on my first novel.

Again, thanks for your kind words. And don't let my trainwreck discourage you from leaving the platform.

*Morris

5:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home