Humor columnist Morris Workman shares his "odd-servations" and twisted perspectives on small-town living, national news, sports, and societal whims. His wit and gentle satire are designed to make you smile, make you laugh, and mostly, make you think.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Shower Warning Device

Once again, I’m lost in a luxurious shower of steaming hot water and silky suds letting my muse whisper in my ear while preparing for another day of journalistic battle.
Suddenly, a stinging barrage of cold water hits my skin like the attack of the ice mites.
Yes, someone in the other bathroom (presumably my teenage daughter with the shower addiction) has started their own shower, robbing me of the precious contents of the water heater.
Without warning.
It made me realize that someone needs to invent a Shower Warning Device.
I’m envisioning a large flashing red sign similar to the “On The Air” light found at TV and radio studios.
You would hit a button before entering the shower, which would light the sign in the other bathroom as a warning to anyone contemplating a shower or flush.
The deluxe model would be automatic, with the sign lighting up whenever someone turns on the shower faucet.
The super-deluxe model would automatically turn off the water to any liquid-control device in the house (other shower, sinks, toilet, washing machines, dishwashers, and refrigerator ice makers) until the main shower was completed.
Following this episode, I was pining for the good old days, acknowledging that the development of the multi-bathroom abode wasn’t such a great advancement after all.
As a kid, our house had one bathroom.
I know the concept is as antiquated as the telephone party line, but it was far more practical.
Like a “poop party line,” only one person could use the bathroom at a time.
It also made it pretty easy for everyone else in the house to realize that a shower was taking place.
If the bathroom door had a decent lock, it also cut off access to the most dangerous burn-inflicting device in the house.
No, not the stove.
With a stove, you knew it was hot.
If you got burned, it was usually your own stupidity or a plastic-army-man experiment gone awry.
The burn inflicting device to which I am referring is a flushed toilet.
(Which could take your showering experience from comfortable to scalding in 2.3 seconds.)
The lock was sufficient notice to the other occupants of the residence that the water facilities were in use, ensuring a safe and enjoyable showering experience.
Unless of course you had a mischievous sibling with malicious flushing on their mind.
Today, with multiple bathrooms, every shower is like a reconnaissance mission in the jungle.
You never know when a surprise scalding or fast freezing is imminent.
It comes without warning, and usually without remorse.
So to any inventors out there who might be tuning in, here is an idea for you to make your first million dollars.
Once you design it and market it, just send me 25 bucks and we’ll call it square.
And if that works, send me an e-mail and I’ll provide you with a few of my $100 ideas, brilliant flashes of inspiration that usually involve advanced plastics and frickin’ lasers.

4 Comments:

Blogger adubya said...

I've had other shower device ideas like that as well. Luckily our house is new enough that I don't get nailed by the alternate shower problem, in fact, you can flush while someone's in the shower with no impact. I would, however, like a device where I can store the ideas I have while in the shower because as soon as the water drains out so does the idea....

8:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the army we had a system for warning those in the shower that we were about to flush their precious hot water down the drain.

If people were in the shower, we'd yell "Fire in the Hole" before we flushed. Of course, this probably wouldn't work in your situation, since I'm doubting your two showers are in the same "latrine". ;~D

9:12 AM

 
Blogger Workman Chronicles said...

We should do a post on all the things we've done to our siblings, and the retaliatory things done to us, Alison.
It would be a long post!
Adubya, what did they do to in your new house to make it flush-burn proof? Our house is relatively new, with a good sized hot-water heater, but it isn't enough.
And you're shower-borne ideas are signs of your inner writer. I've talked to other writers, and the shower muse seems to be pretty universal.
It's certainly the place where most of my creative ideas are spawned.
I suspect the flush warning was a pretty smart idea in the company of other men bearing hi-caliber weapons, ParaTed.
And you are right about America's Bathroom Reader, Cindra.
We used to have a pretty decent backlog of RD's in our bathroom.
However, my sister and I weren't neat enough to keep them in a nice basket.
Ours held the place of honor, stacked up on the toilet tank.
In chronological order, of course!

*Morris

9:44 AM

 
Blogger adubya said...

I wish I could tell you what our house has that allows you to flush without killing the showerer but I'm no plumber. It just works.
I'll let you know if I ever get my shower recording device off the ground.

5:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home